Diabetes can be effectively managed by taking proper medication, balanced and nutritious meals, regular exercise and increasing physical activity.
6 benefits of exercise has on diabetes
- Exercise helps in lowering the blood glucose levels making the body use insulin more effectively and reduces our dependency on medications and pills.
- It helps us in weight management and loss by keeping us fit and healthy.
- It also increases our flexibility and keeps us more fit and active.
- Physical activity helps in lowering high blood pressure and makes the heart stronger by raising the HDL (good cholesterol) and lowering LDL (bad cholesterol). Reduces the risk of heart diseases and strokes.
- Physical activity makes us more energetic, peaceful and stress free. It reduces depression, stress and anxiety attacks and helps us to sleep better.
- It helps in strengthening bones and muscles and also delays bone loss and reduce chances of osteoporosis and arthritis.
Type of Exercise for Diabetic
This is the safest and most effective exercise which can be done by everyone. Walking for 30 minutes to an hour daily can help in overall good health. Brisk walking, jogging etc are the variations one could experiment with to break the monotony of walks.
It is an ideal exercise for people with type 2 diabetes. It exerts low pressure on joints and is preferred by people of old age or people with joint issues.
Low impact aerobic exercises can be done to keep oneself fit and energetic on the feet.
It is helpful in many ways to people with diabetes. It improves the nerve functions, helps in loosing body fat and fights insulin resistance. It also helps in reducing stress and keeps us calm. Power Yoga can also be done to help in achieving weight loss.
Besides these, working on a treadmill or stationary bike, weight training etc, are popular forms of exercise which are helpful for diabetics.
Precautions to be taken before you exercise if you are diabetic:
When exercising, there are certain precautions which need to be taken by people suffering from Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. One needs to ensure adequate hydration before and during exercise. Always carry necessary medicines/glucose tablets with you. One should never exercise on empty stomach. High impact exercise or heavy weight lifting should be avoided. Always carry a diabetic card with you which helps in case of emergency.
Exercising is extremely effective and beneficial for type 2 diabetics as they keep them fit and healthy. It helps in maintaining blood sugars, healthy weight and lowers our blood pressure and increases our energy levels which ultimately keeps diabetes under control and helps in preventing complications.