Watermelons can do a lot more than just refreshing you on a hot summer day. On these dehydrating summers, it is better to consume foods with actual cool essence that to consume foods with cold temperature. Watermelon is such a fruit which has a high water content of 92% which not only helps to quench thirst but also refreshes and maintains hydration in exhausting summers. It contains only thirty calories per hundred grams.
Apart from this, watermelon contains various important nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
- Lycopene : Watermelon is specifically rich in lycopene. This lycopene acts as a powerful antioxidant and thus has various health benefits. Lycopene helps in preventing cardiovascular diseases and cancer.
- Citrulline : Amino acid citrulline produces another amino acid arginine which has also shown to reduce blood pressure. It is being studied for its fat blocking potential and thus its cardiovascular benefits.
- Vitamin A and C : They both act as an antioxidant and a general immune booster.
- Thiamine and Riboflavin : It helps to burn carbohydrates for energy production!
- Vitamin B6 : It helps in synthesis of dopamine and serotonin which reduces anxiety and improves mood.
- Folic Acid : It is important in brain and overall nervous system function.
- Magnesium : It is needed to absorb calcium for your bone health and nervous system balance, blood sugar control, brain function and heart health.
- Copper : It boosts energy levels, lowers cholesterol, keeps skin and arteries elastic and prevents graying hair.
With all these super benefits of the summer fruit, we all must include watermelon for a delicious healthy summer snack. Beat the Heat this summer with this super food.